Wondering whether you can still continue with chiro treatments while you are pregnant? This is a question asked by many moms-to-be. You know that regular chiro has helped you improve your posture, align your joints, and even find relief from pain. You’ve seen (and felt) the benefits first-hand. When you fall pregnant, you might start wondering whether it is safe to continue with your treatments.
The good news is that chiro treatments are not only safe through every trimester of your pregnancy but also beneficial in many ways. Keep reading to find out more about seeing your chiro while you are pregnant.
Chiro Treatments During Pregnancy
Pregnancy can be tough on the body. Many pregnant women experience aches and pains in the lower body – especially the lower back and hips. This can lead to a lot of discomfort, especially as your pregnancy progresses and your baby grows. Chiro treatments offer a way to find gentle relief, reducing the need for painkillers.
Some of the ways that chiro can provide relief during your pregnancy include the following:
- Promoting overall health during pregnancy and keeping the body aligned
- Reducing uncomfortable symptoms such as nausea
- Making labour and delivery easier through aligned spine and hips
- Easing pains and aches that are experienced throughout pregnancy
- Reducing the chance of C-section delivery
- Relieve stress that typically arises at various points of pregnancy
- Ease headaches, reflux, heartburn and other discomfort
- Minimise the risk of displaced vertebrae during the last trimester
- Creates space in the pelvic cavity for the baby, reducing pressure on the uterus
- Ease pain, tingling, and numbness caused by sciatica in the lower back and leg
Chiropractic care can also help in the case of breech pregnancies. Larry Webster, D.C, and founder of the International Chiropractic Pediatric Association developed the Webster Technique. This method of chiropractic adjustment helps chiros balance the pelvis, relieving stress on ligaments and the uterus. This state of balance can greatly help to position the baby. When the pelvis is balanced, the risk of breech pregnancies is minimised, making it easier for the baby to move into the right position for birth. There are other methods that can equally reduce the risk of breech deliveries.
Chiropractors are trained to treat pregnant women, using specialised techniques that help to gently manipulate without causing pain or discomfort. With that said, there are some instances where chiro is not the best choice. If you are experiencing vaginal bleeding, toxemia, placenta previa or abruption or an ectopic pregnancy, it is best to rest the body to avoid complications.
At Spine and Beyond, our primary goal is to provide our patients with treatments that ensure a healthier spine and a healthier body. To find out more about chiro treatments in Durban for pregnancy, contact us today.